Piazza IV Novembre
Among the most beautiful squares in Italy, Piazza IV Novembre is the cultural, civil, social and religious center of Perugia. University city among the oldest in Italy and in the world. Etruscan, Roman, medieval city and seat of the papacy for over three centuries.
Piazza IV Novembre owes its name to the day of the end of the First World War in Italy.
This urban space has played a crucial role since the dawn of the city. Both the Etruscans and the Romans, in fact, considered it the nerve center of their settlements. It once represented the Roman Forum and was profoundly modified during the Middle Ages.
“Built between the thirteenth and fifteenth centuries, it was designed to redevelop the acropolis of Perugia and focused on the extension of the cathedral itself and the magnificent Palazzo dei Priori”.
In its center stands the Fontana Maggiore, symbol of the city of Perugia and one of the greatest examples of medieval Italian sculpture. Built between 1257 and 1278 on a project by Nicola and Giovanni Pisano, it consists of two circular basins of pink and white stone and surmounted by a bronze basin and three nymphs from which water flows.
Through a portal surmounted by griffin and the lion statues, icons of the city, you enter directly in Palazzo dei Priori, in Gothic style built between 1293 and 1443. Inside is the Sala dei Notari, an environment with a vault supported by eight Romanesque arches and entirely frescoed with allegorical representations and biblical stories. The Palace is the seat of the municipality and houses the National Gallery of Umbria, the Noble Collegio della Mercanzia and the Noble Collegio del Cambio.